Red Sox DH Ortiz shuts it down for few days
BALTIMORE (AP) -- Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz has been shut down as he strives to return from a strained right Achilles tendon.
Ortiz had already been told not to take batting practice, and now he's been ordered to also stop running.
Ortiz has been on the 15-day disabled list since July 18. Speaking before the Red Sox faced the Orioles on Wednesday night, Ortiz said running felt more like limping, and he was getting sore afterward.
He said, "I'm looking for a step forward instead of a step backward. You've got to let injuries heal."
Ortiz says he won't hit or run at least through Thursday. Boston begins a three-game series with the Yankees on Friday.
In 89 games this season, Ortiz is hitting .316 with 23 homers and 58 RBIs.