Henry denies report that Sox are for sale
BOSTON (WHDH) -- When the Boston Red Sox moved $260 million worth of payroll to the Los Angeles Dodgers last month there was immediately speculation that the team’s owners may be shopping the team, setting it up for someone else to start over. On Thursday, a Fox Business report added to that speculation.
Mired in their worst season since buying the team in 2002, the Red Sox Ownership Group, led by Henry, is shopping the team to potential buyers, according to a Fox Business report.
This claim is something Red Sox President Larry Lucchino called nonsense.
“There has not been one word, one word of discussion regarding that. We are committed, for better or worse, we are the guys you’re going to have to kick around for awhile,” Lucchino said on WEEI Thursday.
Henry was also quick to refute the report. In an email to the media Henry wrote: “Any sale discussions that may have taken place were missing three key people -- Larry, Tom [Werner] and me. The Sox and any of the other components of FSG [Fenway Sports Group] are not for sale and will not be for the foreseeable future.”
Henry took the denial a step further by making an appearance on WEEI in hopes of ending all speculation.
“I think whenever things aren’t going according to plan, with all the turmoil we’ve had this year, that people are going to speculate about this sort of thing. We’re committed to this franchise for the long term,” Henry said on WEEI Thursday.
The Red Sox have also been stubborn around their alleged sell-out streak -- not a bad marketing tool if you are trying to sell the team.