Taliban leader says still willing to talk
KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) -- The Taliban's reclusive leader is blaming America and the Afghan government for the failure so far of peace talks, but says his group is willing to carry on with negotiations -- even as he calls for more attacks on foreign troops.
In a five-page message emailed on Tuesday ahead of the Muslim Eid al-Fitr holiday, Mullah Mohammad Omar urges a continued struggle against the international coalition and its Afghan allies.
He urged Kabul's security forces to turn their guns on foreign troops, government officials and Afghans cooperating with the U.S.-led coalition forces.
The U.S. and the Taliban on June 18 announced talks to be held in the Gulf state of Doha. But they foundered when Afghanistan's president objected to the Doha office, saying it resembled the embassy of a government-in-exile.
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)